[Taxacom] (no subject)

Jenkins, Philip D - (pjenkins) pjenkins at email.arizona.edu
Thu Mar 17 12:44:49 CDT 2011

As we sink deeper into the Homogocene, the Herbarium ARIZ in Tucson has boldly arranged the collection in line with the APG III (numbers of Pteridophyte and Conifer have a decimal point ahead of them, as Pinaceae is .44). Are there many Herbaria doing this? I would doubt it. We started by listing every genus folder we had, then researched the Families that the listed the genera, and then listed the families acording to the Linear Angiosperm Phylogeny Group (LAPG) III: a linear sequence of the families in APG III (Haston,Richardson, Stevens Chase and Harris; Botanical Journal of the Linnean Society, 2009, 161, 128-131). We used Mabberley's Plant -Book to find most of the Families, but that book differed slightly from APG III. So I wonder now many Herbaria, smallish as we are (500,000) are actually doing this. We need a standard system for Pteridophytes and Gymnosperms, still
Phil Jenkins (ARIZ)