[Taxacom] RES: Botanists handwritings - website?

Lyn.Craven at csiro.au Lyn.Craven at csiro.au
Mon Mar 21 22:46:31 CDT 2011

The original enquiry was for samples of botanical authors' handwriting, but some of the responses seem to be directing one to sites with examples of collectors' handwriting.     A collector is not necessarily also an author of new names.

I looked at the site referred to by Karol Marhold (thank you for posting this) but it seems to me to be rather incomplete.   I found no examples for Guillaumin, Diels, Schlechter, Hochreutiner, but did for (Ferdinand) Mueller.  Strangely, there was only one hit under Mueller but there are heaps of Muellers and one would think "Muell. Arg." would be included.   The absence of Hochreutiner was also a surprise as I think Hochreutiner may have been based at Genève for some time.

I would dearly like to see a sample of Guillaumin's handwriting, if anyone has such.

Apparently, herbarium P also has samples of handwriting in digital form but, when I tried to access the page, I could not get anywhere.  It seemed to be set up more as an in-house tool than something designed for outside access, and I wimped out.

Regards,     Lyn