[Taxacom] stem eudicots of NCBI

Kenneth Kinman kennethkinman at webtv.net
Mon Mar 28 21:05:27 CDT 2011

Dear All,
      I was looking at the classification of eudicots used at the NCBI
database, and I was delighted to see that they recognize "stem
eudicots", which is clearly paraphyletic.  Ooopps.  Sorry, Richard that
I used the word paraphyletic.  Perhaps I should have said truncated
clade (or semi-holophyletic, a synonym of semi-paraphyletic).  But that
is largely a semantic "much ado about minor matters" (and certainly
secondary to our shared sentiments against paraphylophobia in general).
Wouldn't you agree?
         In any case, since NCBI is recognizing such a grouping (which
is wonderful since they have eliminated so many other useful
"paraphyletic" taxa), I would recommend a slight modification.  Order
Gunnerales is clearly a member of the stem lineage, splitting off just
before the diversification of the very large taxon now called
Pentapetalae.
        Therefore, NCBI would be well advised to put Order Gunnerales in
the "stem eudicots", which would allow them to give their "core
eudicots" the formal clade name "Pentapetalae".  This would make their
classification even more useful and up-to-date.  As usual, I offer this
advice free of charge.  With government cutbacks, perhaps they don't
have the time and resources to keep up with changes that would be useful
to them and many of the users of their database.
        ---------Ken Kinman