[Taxacom] stem eudicots of NCBI

Richard Zander Richard.Zander at mobot.org
Tue Mar 29 09:33:12 CDT 2011

Don't send a congratulatory note to NCBI, Ken. They might think they overlooked something, and "fix" it.

One should use the word "paraphyletic" when one is discussing synchronic (present-day) nesting of exemplars. That's the phylogenetic dimension. It is inappropriate for diachronic (through-time) theory of evolution, in which case "macroevolution" or the equivalent is appropriate. IMO, anyway.

How can a clade be truncated if it is just part of a nested set of exemplars? Where is the truncation in, say, ((((A,B)C)A)D)E,F  ? In semantics?

R.

Richard H. Zander
Web sites: http://www.mobot.org/plantscience/resbot/ and http://www.mobot.org/plantscience/bfna/bfnamenu.htm
Modern Evolutionary Systematics Web site: http://www.mobot.org/plantscience/resbot/21EvSy.htm