[Taxacom] An objective observation for Taxacom members

Jim Croft jim.croft at gmail.com
Sun May 1 19:41:50 CDT 2011

You are quite right and a number of us have raised the notion of some
form of moderation or content filtration in the past.  Both for volume
and content.

The policy of the list owners/managers has been to shy away from
moderation, I guess because taxonomists like to think of themselves as
responsible, tolerant and free-spirited beings and a feeling that it
would stifle discussion.  The argument goes, someone would have to do
it, timezones differences would kill the immediacy of communication
and then there is the touchy issue of who decides what is acceptable
content.

The 'dialogue' does not worry me too much as it shows and active and
engaged community. But the repetitive barrow-pushing and
dead-horse-flogging gets a bit tedious and most of this type of
content is best suited to a blog that can be referenced when/if
something new is added; those who care can carry on the discussion
there and not clutter the list with detail and personal defense and
attack. There are some members of the list who use this approach very
effectively.

Perhaps this could be built int the 'list etiquette' and the 'rules of
engagement'?

jim