[Taxacom] RES: Why Taxonomy does NOT matter

Vitor Fernandes O. de Miranda vmiranda at fcav.unesp.br
Wed May 4 07:46:14 CDT 2011

Hi Mary,

I agree with most you´d written.
The idea of a "finished knowledge" to taxonomical works it´s a very common
issue. But I think it is not exclusive to taxonomy, indeed also to other
topics.
Once I had a proposal to a systematic and morphology study refused with the
main argument that "a systematic study to the taxa had already been done and
published". What?? So, do we already know everything about the group? Is not
important other studies to the matter? It's just astonishing.

Perhaps we, as professors, could contribute to dismount this spurious
notion, beginning to our students (if they had it). It may be a good start.

Best wishes,
Vitor