[Taxacom] Why Taxonomy does NOT matter

Richard Zander Richard.Zander at mobot.org
Wed May 11 08:52:39 CDT 2011

Taken separately, Fabian's comments are right on.

On the other hand, I have suggested on Taxacom in the past that ALL aspects of taxonomy can be combined so that one can approach funders with 1. a 250-year ongoing project that 2. uses human-mediated genetic algorithms to do preliminary identification of taxa and sorting into relationships, 3. formalizes morphological character analysis to develop dendrograms based in descriptions of taxa showing parsimoniously nested relative primitive and elaborated trait series that can be made, with other information, into natural keys, 4. uses cutting edge DNA and genomic analyses to weigh genetic continuity, and 5. evaluates evolutionary directions with Dollo's Rule and other information to create a well-hooked classification.

This is done by coming up with a scientific theory of evolutionary process for each group that explains and conciliates results of alpha taxonomy, morphological analysis, and molecular analyses. You may have to have a team to split the technical work, a well-funded team, of course. What is important is not to let any one member demand that his/her analytical method must control or will explain the results of any other method, but that all results be explained by a separate unified theory.

This is possible. It is attractive because it has a footprint that consolidates years of alpha taxonomic work and also an aspect of high technology. It also will not negatively affect biodiversity studies by basing some aspects of classification on artifacts, like phylogenetic paraphyly and polyphyly, or old-timers insisting molecular analysis must be wrong when it conflicts with past classifications. My solution has to do with an appraisal of the caulistic dimension, but there may be other solutions.

Wrangling will not impress funders. We also cannot consolidate our different ideological camps by depending on hegemony of one or the other to fix things. I'm certain there is a solution, and though it may not entirely satisfy anyone, it does allow one to approach funders with a robust project.

Richard H. Zander

Missouri Botanical Garden, PO Box 299, St. Louis, MO 63166-0299 USA�

Web sites: http://www.mobot.org/plantscience/resbot/�and http://www.mobot.org/plantscience/bfna/bfnamenu.htm

Modern Evolutionary Systematics Web site: http://www.mobot.org/plantscience/resbot/21EvSy.htm