[Taxacom] ICZN Opinion 105

Richard Jensen rjensen at saintmarys.edu
Tue May 17 10:57:31 CDT 2011

Francisco,

I certainly agree with your hypothesis that longer names are more likely
to be misspelled.  But, I don't see that as sufficient reason to insist
on short names.  Long numbers are more likely to be mistyped, long
sentences more likely to be misquoted and misunderstood etc., but we
deal with these every day and still make it through.

Something else that should enter into the quality of a name is the
mnemonic factor.  If there is something that makes it easily remembered
(your "easily memorable"), then I think that should outweigh length and
likelihood of being misspelled.  As Adam Cotton noted,
"Brassolaeliocattleya" is of hybrid origin and that makes it easy to
remember the three components of the name.

Cheers,

Dick J

--
Richard J. Jensen, Professor