[Taxacom] ICZN Opinion 105

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Tue May 17 16:16:04 CDT 2011

>any suggestions on shortening that <

kingandi

________________________________
From: Neal Evenhuis <neale at bishopmuseum.org>
To: Kenneth Kinman <kennethkinman at webtv.net>; taxacom
<taxacom at mailman.nhm.ku.edu>
Sent: Wed, 18 May, 2011 7:56:54 AM
Subject: Re: [Taxacom] ICZN Opinion 105

Bummers.

I have a name in MS to be named after the great Madagascan King
Andrianampoinimerinandriantsimitoviaminandriampanjaka (1745-1810)

... any suggestions on shortening that ....

-Neal

On 5/17/11 9:45 AM, "Kenneth Kinman"
<kennethkinman at webtv.net<mailto:kennethkinman at webtv.net>> scribbled the
following tidbit:

Hi Richard,
      I agree.  Even the word dictionary has 10 letters, and
nomenclature has 12.  These are nice middle-ground words---not
particularly short, but certainly not unusually long either.  However,
ICZN should frown upon any taxonomist who becomes an unkind
hyperpolysyllabicsesquipedalianist.

Richard Zander wrote:
    Limiting names to 7 or 8 letters makes strange combinations
necessary when we get to naming the 500 millionth species: "Kwthizk
xxngghh" or so, when all the euphonious letter combinations are used up.
Rchdzndr

methods:

(2) a Google search specified as:  site:mailman.nhm.ku.edu/pipermail/taxacom
your search terms here