[Taxacom] Hedges /Kumar (eds) The Timetree of Life

Richard Zander Richard.Zander at mobot.org
Wed May 18 12:57:34 CDT 2011

No, no, patterns are great. We all look for patterns. It is the relegation of other, apparently disparate or contrary information to the pattern that is bad practice when there may be a theory that explains both.

Example: all phylogenetic paraphyly is due to incomplete lineage sorting (well you can map it, right?) and all phylogenetic polyphyly is convergence (the exemplars are too far apart on the cladogram to entertain a deep shared ancestor, right?). Problem solved, to the satisfaction of phylogeneticists.

If there is a problem with patterns and relegation of apparently inconsistent or contradictory information to panbiogeographic tracks, then that is bad practice, too. It's too confusing to me to find an example. If "tracks" are patterns and can be incorporated into an overarching vicariant or long-dispersal (or preferably both) theory that explains both tracks and other features of a particular biogeographic phenomenon, then no problem and good for panbiogeographers.

IF ... How about an example?

Richard H. Zander
Missouri Botanical Garden, PO Box 299, St. Louis, MO 63166-0299 USA�
Web sites: http://www.mobot.org/plantscience/resbot/�and http://www.mobot.org/plantscience/bfna/bfnamenu.htm
Modern Evolutionary Systematics Web site: http://www.mobot.org/plantscience/resbot/21EvSy.htm