[Taxacom] Open Access taxonomy

Roderic Page r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk
Wed May 25 12:40:19 CDT 2011

Dear Frank,

Take a look around, libraries are in trouble (e.g., http://www.the-scientist.com/blog/display/57491/ ).

> Yes, it is much more efficient to stay glued in front of a computer screen and have everything readily on hand.

Or access the information on a smart phone in the middle of the countryside, or on an airplane, or in a coffee shop. The notion that online means on a desktop might apply a few years ago, but no longer.

I absolutely want everything on hand right now. And I suggest the next cohort of people who are foolish enough to join this field will expect nothing less.

> And from the publisher's standpoint: The subscription model still works. For example, if I want to eat a pizza, I pay for it and get it. Oh well, this is just the 99.999% of the world outside scientific publishing...

There are all sorts of business models that we could consider, and I'd suggest there's a lot of variation in the "the 99.999% of the world outside scientific publishing". Just take a look at what has happened to the music industry since the advent of Napster, iTunes, and Spotify.

Regards

Rod

Email: r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk
Tel: +44 141 330 4778