[Taxacom] Taxacom Digest, Vol 68, Issue 8

Michael Heads michael.heads at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 9 18:55:54 CST 2011

Hi Sergio,That's a good summary of the problem. No-one is
actually testing anything and it's an interesting question why reviewers and
editors let this stuff through. Here's a typical example: based on a Miocene
fossil seed of Wahlenbergia from sediments of Upper Karpathian age
(16.5-17.5 Ma), Prebble et al. (2011. Mol Phylogen Evol 59: 636) assigned
priors for its clade age (a normal distribution, a mean of 17 Ma, and a
standard deviation of 0.4 Myr) that gave a prior 95% HPD interval of
16.34–17.66 Ma for the clade. Thus the clade age is made to correspond to the
age range of the Upper Karpathian stage. Why would you do this? There is no
logical argument here, just assertion. Anyway, based on these priors and two
other similar sets, Prebble et al. were able to confirm a Cenozoic age for this
intercontinental genus (ruling out vicariance). The modern synthesis relies on
the 'default setting' that clade age = fossil age + ~5 m.y. (e.g. see Ken's
last post) and this is being slipped into the Bayesian work in the assignment
of priors.
Michael
Wellington, New Zealand.

My papers on biogeography are at: http://tiny.cc/RiUE0