[Taxacom] Clade age (was: Taxacom Digest)

John Grehan jgrehan at sciencebuff.org
Thu Nov 10 14:13:46 CST 2011

There is even a more bizarre aspect to calibration of molecular clocks and that is the reliance on the very morphology that is rejected as having any independent validity by molecular systematists in the first place.

John Grehan

first, sorry for not changing the subject of my previous email.

now, I would like to point out what to me is the biggest problem with molecular dating. Interestingly it has nothing to do with the algorithms or theory or modelling behind the dating analysis of with whether you end up having minimal or maximal or hypothesized maximal age, etc. Even more interestingly, and a bit surprising to me, was that a complete systematics outsider pointed to the same problem after a only seeing a figure showing the calibration points used for a molecular dating analysis. Anyways, taking for example the fossil polen of China and say that you can confidently assign it to Lamiaceae but not to a specific genus of Lamiaceae (I don't how far can go identifying polen anyways). Now, for a molecular dating analysis you would assign use this fossil to constraint (calibrate) the age of crown-group Lamiaceae but there is no reason or logical justification to do this. Given that the polen could belong to any Lamiaceae you can use it to constraint any node of the crown Lamiaceae, using the polen to constraint the crown group artificially biases the origin of the crown group to the age of the fossil but this is totally arbitrary, because the polen could belong to any descendant of that common-ancestor. You would need to evaluate the effect of uncertainty in the calibration which will make the problem n-times as hard as it already is. The main problem is that there is no reason to prefer using the fossil to calibrate the age of crown-group Lamiaceae you cannot argue that it is most parsimonious or that it is most likely, so you need to evaluate all possible calibrations...

sergio

--
Sergio Vargas R., M.Sc.
Dept. of Earth&  Environmental Sciences