[Taxacom] Clade age (was: Taxacom Digest)

Richard Zander Richard.Zander at mobot.org
Thu Nov 10 16:03:38 CST 2011

My understanding is that reversals in DNA sequences are rare if one chooses well the sequence to study. The mutations change only a small portion of the sequence among the taxa studied. Only when there is rapid mutation for those taxa for a poorly chosen sequence will there be lots of overwriting of informative base changes and thus loss of data on shared ancestry.

Your second question is interesting in that it posits a theoretic scenario not tolerated in cladistics, therefore there is no problem and no answer. You imply that one or more descendants arise from a single progenitor. Although cladists might allow such might happen at times, cladistics does not model this. Cladistics models clades, and classification is by clades. Progenitor-descendant pairs or series are eliminated by the classification principle of holophyly.

There is my take on your questions, the Good and the Ugly answers. Astrology takes astronomy, a good thing, and maps every other pattern onto it, a bad thing. So also goes phylogenetics, with molecular trees revealing quite interesting patterns of evolution (genetic continuity and isolation events), and cladistics mapping morphological traits, biogeography, and kitchen sinks onto the pattern.

Richard H. Zander
Web sites: http://www.mobot.org/plantscience/resbot/ and http://www.mobot.org/plantscience/bfna/bfnamenu.htm
Modern Evolutionary Systematics Web site: http://www.mobot.org/plantscience/resbot/21EvSy.htm