[Taxacom] Clade age (was: Taxacom Digest)‏

Lynn Raw lynn at afriherp.org
Fri Nov 11 03:36:37 CST 2011

Now for my own fairy story <G>.

As I see it, the original founder taxon had a long but narrow range subsequently divided by the rapid incision of river valleys which divided the original taxon into several isolated populations. I say rapid because the geology across the original range was uniform and relatively soft (shales) and isolated because the river valleys are inhospitable to the species concerned. This same pattern turns up in various taxa that would have shared the habitat before it became divided, these include vertebrates, invertebrates and plants. What is obvious is that all of these share the common characteristics of very specific habitat requirements and low vagility (ability to disperse). More habitat tolerant and more mobile species were not affected. I imagine that the original species population would have had various character state mutations in the process of incorporation. These would have had points of origin along the length of the range and while some might not have dispersed very far others on the other extreme might have spread across the whole range. Subsequent retention or loss of these mutations in the isolates coupled with any new independent mutations might provide a very confused dataset for cladistic analysis. There would be a number of shared derived characters but they would not resolve into clades in any consistent way. It is possible that polytomies may be fairly frequent but over time become invisible due to the extinction of all but one or two of the descendent lines. I can see how it could arise due to rising or lowering sea levels (depending on whether they are marine or terrestrial species).  I recall an interesting paper by Voris on sea snakes that looked at sea level changes in SE Asia.

I am not a biochemist or molecular biologist so have no idea what gene is involved although I guess I could find out quickly enough.

I find the idea of using cladistic type analyses to determine species rather curious as species are usually defined by their unique characters and not their relationships to other species.

Lynn