[Taxacom] Clade age (was: Taxacom Digest)

Kenneth Kinman kennethkinman at webtv.net
Sat Nov 12 14:03:06 CST 2011

Hi Lynn,
       I think your "slice of time" is a little too thin
on Passer domesticus. The population in North America was introduced
only 160 years. Coming from one area of England, it didn't represent the

total amount of variation of the species as a whole, but I wouldn't even

call the North American population a separate subspecies, much less a
species. That would be sort of like calling the Caucasian population of
Australia a separate taxon of human.

Lynn Raw wrote:
          I think the mistake we make is that our
evidence concerns a very thin slice of time, like embedding a tree in
paraffin, cutiing a section and then trying to understand which sections

of twigs belong together. We can only define species in the present, not

the past or future. Are the introduced Passer domesticus of North
America still part of the Eurasian Passer domesticus panmictic system? I

would say not, but you might have other ideas. Hmmm, maybe I just coined

a new definition of species <G>.