[Taxacom] Clade age

Richard Jensen rjensen at saintmarys.edu
Mon Nov 14 10:40:32 CST 2011

Curtis,

Unfortunately, the one thing you and John agree on is a mistake.
Definitions do matter.  They are essential for understandable
communication.  If you are allowed to define "science" by your criteria,
and I am allowed to define it by a different set of properties, then how
can we ever communicate effectively?  It's the old apples and oranges
(and, no, I'm not a Herman Cain supporter) confusion.  Both are fruits
and share a variety of properties, but they are not, by definition, the
same thing!

John has made this argument before and it appears to be part of the
problem in communicating with him.  His definitions often are quite
different from those that many (most!) of us use and that only serves to
create confusion and a lot of unnecessary exchanges on Taxacom.

Cheers,

Dick J

--
Richard J. Jensen, Professor