[Taxacom] Clade age

Curtis Clark lists at curtisclark.org
Mon Nov 14 13:24:16 CST 2011

On 11/14/2011 10:33 AM, John Grehan wrote:
> People argue
> over definitions all the time, but whether such arguments really solve
> anything or not is another matter. The perennial species definition
> arguments are a nice case in point.

This is the confusion I wrote about. Human constructs are subject to
definition, and, Humpty-Dumpty notwithstanding, shared definition
facilitates communication (good). Definition of natural entities or
processes freezes their understanding at a point in time (bad).

Professor, Biological Sciences                   +1 909 979 6371