[Taxacom] Taxonomy - crisis, what crisis?

Roderic Page r.page at bio.gla.ac.uk
Wed Oct 5 11:37:32 CDT 2011

Hot on the tail of the recent paper son the number of species comes Joppa et al.'s paper in TREE http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.tree.2011.07.010 , which concludes:

"Conventional wisdom is highly prejudiced. It suggests that taxonomists were a formerly more numerous people, are in 'crisis', are becoming endangered and are generally asocial. We consider these hypotheses and reject them to varying degrees."

It's an interesting paper. I've written a short blog post on the irony that it will be hard to test their conclusions because the taxonomic data they use isn't freely available, see http://iphylo.blogspot.com/2011/10/taxonomy-crisis-what-crisis.html

Regards

Rod

Roderic Page
Professor of Taxonomy