[Taxacom] Taxonomy - crisis, what crisis?

Thomas Pape TPape at snm.ku.dk
Wed Oct 5 15:21:50 CDT 2011

There is much more to the 'sociology' of taxonomists. Our Diptera data
set (Systema Dipterorum) is interesting by showing that a large part of
the increase in rate of descriptions is due to a very high production in
EURASIA. Rates have levelled off or are even going down for all other
regions, and that rates go down for the tropical areas can hardly be
explained by a declining pool of new species. As we all know, there are
TONS of new species in the tropics, but bureaucracy, warfare, diseases,
etc. make our work in such regions less attractive, as do all those
activities Neal mentions.
/Thomas