[Taxacom] labeling redescriptions properly

Francisco Welter-Schultes fwelter at gwdg.de
Fri Sep 9 05:57:05 CDT 2011

> But just to be clear, "sec." has been in use since the 1990's.

The term "secundum" had been used earlier, Berendsohn only
proposed to specify its use to a particular sense in the 1990s.
Berendsohn did not invent it as a new and previously unused term.

I do not see common consensus. The usage in ZooBank is one of several
possible interpretations of the term, and moreover, not commonly
accepted and not commonly used in all zoological disciplines.

> How about replacing "sec" with either "cited in:" or "used in:"

Yes, or in Spanish or German if you like. This is the form suggested
by the ICZN Code. The terms should as exactly as necessary denote
what is meant.

See the example given in Art. 51.2.1 (where using the terms "sensu",
"as interpreted by" and "tel que compris par" is proposed), other
examples for specifications of subequent usages are in Art. 70.3.2
and Art. 72.7.
Art. 45.6.2: the term "published by"/"publié par" is here used for an
unavailable name.
Art. 11.10: "in the sense of a misidentification used by".

Donat,

> we need the
> means of displaying clearly and unambiguously that this treatment of
> taxon X has been extracted in publication Y authored by Z.

You would probably have to create trillions of pages, if you intend
to record every treatment of every name in every publication. Nobody
could ever rely on the completeness of your data resources.

Francisco
University of Goettingen, Germany
www.animalbase.org