[Taxacom] {Spam?} Re: Monbiot editorial on academic publishing

Wolfgang Wuster w.wuster at bangor.ac.uk
Thu Sep 1 01:25:48 CDT 2011

On 01/09/2011 00:27, Stephen Thorpe wrote:
> actually, journal paywalls may function at least sometimes in "reality economics" as one of the quick and easy ways to spend research money after institutional "overheads" have been taken out, and then go back to the funders for more.

Of course. There is nothing academics love doing more than spending
money for the sake of it, and then spending months writing grant
applications that have a 90% chance of failing. We all know that filling
out spreadsheets detailing how 50% of the hard-earned cash that we
almost certainly won't get is going to buy plusher armchairs for a bunch
of accountants is such an incredible turn-on. Sure. Sole reason any of
us went into research.

> This is the "maximum funding - minimal hard work" business model! Another strategy is to do molecular phylogeographic studies (involves a tour from one end of the country to another to collect fresh material of the species under study for DNA analysis, and doubles as a holiday!)

Who says we should not enjoy our work?  ;-)

More seriously, I take Richard's point: of course you cannot get EVERY
pdf through an email.

However, at the same time, we forget how much easier it is to get hold
of literature today than it was previously. Before pdf's and paywalls,
authors either had to buy hard copy reprints and stuff envelopes, or
photocopy journals before stuffing envelopes, or fail to respond to
requests. If the requested reprint did not arrive after a couple of
weeks, it would be further weeks of waiting for an inter-library loan.
And those got progressively more expensive in the late 1980s/early 1990s
as well. And that would apply to older papers in any case, paywall or no
paywall.

Moreover, in the world of pdf's, it's rarely hard to find *someone* who
has a given pdf - there are literature exchange groups on Facebook (and
it is quite phenomenal how many older papers have been scanned in by
someone, somewhere!) and as mailing lists, plenty of authors post their
pdf's on their web pages, albeit illegally, etc.

I am not defending the economic model of academic publishing, but the
depiction of scientific information as "carefully hidden behind
paywalls" is no more true today than it was 20 or 30 years ago, and
thanks to infinitely and freely  copiable and emailable pdf's, those
paywalls are leakier than ever. If pulling out the credit card is
anyone's FIRST response to hitting a paywall, then they ARE a mug. The
reason for my original question was to find out whether these paywalls
actually make a significant contribution to publishers' incomes.
Unfortunately, it seems like that information is not readily available.

--
Dr. Wolfgang Wüster  -  Lecturer
School of Biological Sciences

Tel: +44 1248 382301
Fax: +44 1248 382569
E-mail: w.wuster at bangor.ac.uk
http://www.bangor.ac.uk/~bss166/

--
Gall y neges e-bost hon, ac unrhyw atodiadau a anfonwyd gyda hi,
gynnwys deunydd cyfrinachol ac wedi eu bwriadu i'w defnyddio'n unig

This email and any attachments may contain confidential material and
is solely for the use of the intended recipient(s).  If you have
received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately
and delete this email.  If you are not the intended recipient(s), you
must not use, retain or disclose any information contained in this
email.  Any views or opinions are solely those of the sender and do
not necessarily represent those of the Bangor University.
Bangor University does not guarantee that this email or
any attachments are free from viruses or 100% secure.  Unless
expressly stated in the body of the text of the email, this email is
not intended to form a binding contract - a list of authorised
signatories is available from the Bangor University Finance
Office.  www.bangor.ac.uk