[Taxacom] Sherborn & literature code challenge

Neal Evenhuis neale at bishopmuseum.org
Thu Sep 1 18:06:49 CDT 2011

On 9/1/11 1:01 PM, "Chris Thompson" <xelaalex at cox.net<mailto:xelaalex at cox.net>> scribbled the following tidbit:

Chuck:

I fully understand what you are saying, but I need to note in regards to
your statement:

"... accept that the volume of those results could not be achieved by the
available imperfect humans in several short lifetimes ..."

That there was one man, who in a half of a life time, indexed all the
Zoological literature published between 1758 and 1850. That was Charles
Davies Sherborn, who produced the Index Animalium.

We will celebrate him and his great achievement this coming October. See the
announcement at the ICZN website (http://iczn.org/ )

AND ... he did all of that without a computer.

AND .. he actually had a social life too ....! :-)

-Neal