[Taxacom] Monbiot editorial on academic publishing

Wolfgang Wuster w.wuster at bangor.ac.uk
Thu Sep 1 18:13:51 CDT 2011

On 01/09/2011 22:46, Arne Erpenbach wrote:
> Excuse my interference, it is kindly ment.
> Wolfgang, you made quite a point:
>
>> However, it is
>> counterproductive to simply jump up and down and complain about the
>> status quo [...] without also pointing out that there are
>> a considerable number of unofficial ways in which one can get hold of
>> *most* publications for free. Perhaps we as individual publishing
>> academics should do our bit to educate the interested public in how to
>> get the papers.
> May I assume that the lot of those "unofficial ways" would be considered
> illegal under the current copyright legislation in most countries on
> *this* globe?

Well, the most obvious and first solution, namely sending an email to
the author asking for a pdf, is most certainly not illegal in any way.
And I would argue that that approach *should* be publicised to the
general public - "Yes, it's OK, you, a mere mortal, can send an email to
a "real scientist" and ask for a pdf of their paper!" Much more
productive than simply throwing one's hands up in horror, although it
does not of course affect the underlying principles highlighted in
Monbiot's essay.

> However, despite that, I totally agree with Wolfgang. But
> I started wondering about two things:
>
> - First, to the knowledge of any taxacomers, are there any cases of
> legal prosecution of individuals, or institutions, for sharing pdfs of
> scientific publications with fellow researchers?

I don't know whether there have been prosecutions. I do know of cases
where Universities have asked members of staff to remove pdfs from their
web pages unless they could show permission from the publisher to post them.

I suspect that there are three factors that militate against
prosecutions of individuals:

(i) the publishers very probably make much of their money from
institutional subscriptions. These are not threatened by pdf-sharing
among colleagues.
(ii) as we have been discussing, they probably make very little money
out of individual pdf purchases, the only side of their business that
would get hurt by pdf-sharing beyond the admissible rules, so they don't
lose much.
(iii) pdf-sharing is normally a very "dilute" offence, even if the
overall volume may be significant. Any individual case is likely to
involve piffling sums of money. Are publishers really going to prosecute
an individual scientist over a $35 pdf posted on a web page? It would be
a classic case of David & Goliath, and would carry a substantial risk of
backfiring and becoming a PR disaster, since it would invite further
media scrutiny of the cosy world of academic publishing. Ignoring minor
transgressions and focussing on bigger fish is almost certainly the best
move for the publishers.

Cheers,

Wolfgang Wüster

--
Dr. Wolfgang Wüster  -  Lecturer
School of Biological Sciences

Tel: +44 1248 382301
Fax: +44 1248 382569
E-mail: w.wuster at bangor.ac.uk
http://www.bangor.ac.uk/~bss166/

--
Gall y neges e-bost hon, ac unrhyw atodiadau a anfonwyd gyda hi,
gynnwys deunydd cyfrinachol ac wedi eu bwriadu i'w defnyddio'n unig

This email and any attachments may contain confidential material and
is solely for the use of the intended recipient(s).  If you have
received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately
and delete this email.  If you are not the intended recipient(s), you
must not use, retain or disclose any information contained in this
email.  Any views or opinions are solely those of the sender and do
not necessarily represent those of the Bangor University.
Bangor University does not guarantee that this email or
any attachments are free from viruses or 100% secure.  Unless
expressly stated in the body of the text of the email, this email is
not intended to form a binding contract - a list of authorised
signatories is available from the Bangor University Finance
Office.  www.bangor.ac.uk