[Taxacom] Help with Sisyrinchium

Torbjörn Tyler torbjorn.tyler at botmus.lu.se
Fri Sep 2 07:44:47 CDT 2011

Dear North American colleagues,

While preparing the treatment of Iridaceae for the Flora Nordica
series, I have come across a specimen of Sisyrinchium collected on
waste land in Norway which obviously does not belong to S. montanum
(the only species of the genus previously recorded from Northern
Europe), but I am not able to identify it conclusively.

The specimen is not ideally developed and in fruiting stage with only
one ± withered flower, but I have observed that the margins of the
spathes are scabrous from a marginal row of densely set, forward-
curved, minute teeth or papilla. I have checked all specimens of the
genus available here in herbarium LD and I have refound this character
only in specimens identified as S. rosulatum (= S. exilis), but we do
miss many species in our collections. However, in the description of
S. rosulatum in Flora of North America (on the internet) this
character is not mentioned, but instead the pigmentation of the fruits
(with dark purplish apex and suture zones on a ± pale matrix; also
seen in the few specimens in LD examined) is described as diagnostic
and this does not fit my Norwegian specimen which have fruits that are
pale straw-coloured throughout. With respect to all other characters
available for study the Norwegian specimen appears to fit both
descriptions and specimens of S. rosulatum, though.

So now I wonder if anybody knows if scabrous spathe-margins is at all
a usefull character in Sisyrinchium, and if so, if it may be
considered diagnostic for S. rosulatum or if there are other species
that have this character (then probably not represented in herbarium
LD...). I would also like to know how constant the coloration pattern
of the fruits are in S. rosulatum.

All kinds of help and suggestions will be highly appreciated!

Torbjörn Tyler