[Taxacom] Sherborn & literature code challenge

Richard Petit r.e.petit at att.net
Fri Sep 2 08:04:57 CDT 2011

 You can index (?) 35 million pages but still not generate a usable work
like Sherborn's Index Animalium.  I have yet to find any on-line data base
where one can find not only the original combination for a taxon but also
author and date (which is necessary to locate the original description and
therefore know what a the name represents).  The most basic data needed by
taxonomists cannot be generated through BHL scans (although it is hard to
imagine doing without that great resource).  Putting Index Animalium on-line
was a great help for those without a hard copy, but as with any such OCR
transfer there are problems. There is a sometimes neglected tool in the
on-line version of IA. After finding a name through the search function, it
is possible to click on pg/tx and get a scan of the original page so a check
for possible transcription errors can be made.

Really useful lists of taxa can only be generated by systematists who can
recognize homonyms and also enter the correct date of publication.

The Linnean Society is planning to reprint "Squire", Sherborn's biography.
It should be read by all systematists!

dick p.