[Taxacom] Sherborn & literature code challenge

Francisco Welter-Schultes fwelter at gwdg.de
Fri Sep 2 11:11:42 CDT 2011

Dick,

> I have yet to find any on-line database where one can find not only
> the original combination for a taxon but also author and date (which
> is necessary to locate the original description and therefore know
> what a the name represents).

For the pre-1790 names see
http://www.animalbase.org
Contains original combinations, authors, true dates and links to the
original sources, in digitised versions provided by public servers,
often BHL or our own scans.

We added also comments if our own data deviated from those of
Sherborn's index (we screened Sherborn and the original sources
simultaneously, about 45,000 names have been checked by this method).

Francisco

University of Goettingen, Germany
www.animalbase.org