[Taxacom] Sherborn & literature code challenge

Richard Petit r.e.petit at att.net
Fri Sep 2 11:56:56 CDT 2011

Francisco:

I apologize for the oversight as I use animalbase quite often. Although it
is a "data base" I do not think of it as such as it is primarily, as you
state, pre-1790. You do include some 19th Century works.  Your manner of
selectively listing taxa is misleading. As an example, you have Gray, 1834
for which you even link to BHL. Great!  However, your site, seemingly
definitively, states that the number of new taxa in that paper "=2".  You do
list the names of 2, but what happened to the other dozens described in that
same paper?  Anyone looking for a Gray 1834 name could find that statement
on animalbase and not bother to check the actual paper, assuming it was
published elsewhere.  This is only one example as this same partial listing
occurs with other works.

My guess is that the Helix was picked up from a list of European species and
the Terebra from an ICZN Opinion, and no one actually checked the paper (or
even bothered to run a search for "Gray 1834" in Index Animalium, in which
taxa in this 1834 paper could be easily identified.

Do not misunderstand me. I am a fan of animalbase, but like all of us, it is
imperfect.  This particular type of imperfection should be corrected.

Regards,

dick