[Taxacom] APG III genus list

Torbjörn Tyler torbjorn.tyler at botmus.lu.se
Fri Sep 2 13:42:54 CDT 2011

Dear colleagues,

In about twelve months, herbarium LD (Lund, Sweden) will move all its
c. 3 million specimens to new facilities. We have now decided to also
use this opportunity to completely resort our collections (which are
today ordered after various more or less outdated classifications). As
far as possible, the new organisation of the vascular plants will be
families in alphabetical order and genera in alphabetical order within
the families. As far as families are concerned, the APG III system is
the natural choice. However, to be able to implement APG III
consistently, we would need a list of all "accepted" genera, if
possible with some frequently used synonyms as well, included in each
of the families recognised by APG III. At present, we have compiled
such lists for some families from various sources, but we do not have
that kind of complete list that we would need to resort all of our
vast international collections. Could somebody advice me from where I
may obtain such a complete list of genera (preferably in the form of
an excel spreadsheet with names of genera in one column and the family
to which they belong in another)? Of course, we would prefer an
"authorative" list agreed upon by multiple systematist and/or allready
implemented in some major herbarium...

Yours,
Torbjörn