[Taxacom] APG III genus list

Peter Stevens peter.stevens at mobot.org
Fri Sep 2 14:13:51 CDT 2011

Brilliant.  Such a list needs to be done - but can it be linked to
IPNI (for metadata for names)? You can go to ING and Willis to
increase the coverage of synonymy; I sat down doing this, and it went
very quickly. I think that  ING (for fl pl., etc.) could ultimately
be folded into IPNI - at least, it seems to me that you don't need
independent lists, with people laboriously making the same changes in
different places..  Also, what you could do is to produce a rough
list and then have "editors" for families/orders. New names can be
added from IPNI or wherever, immediately appear in the list, and
ultimately be evaluated by editors/the community. You can then search
on the list for all accepted names for genera, all names for a
particular genus, etc., etc., and people can download whatever they
want for whatever they want to do.   Of course this will have to
become a community effort,  if it is to be kept current -.and that is
the challenge. The other challenge is to have the minimum amount of
indendent entering of the same data.

P.