[Taxacom] APG III genus list

Richard Zander Richard.Zander at mobot.org
Sat Sep 3 13:21:56 CDT 2011

I'm glad you asked, Phil. What it comes down to is should a
classification be informed by descent with modification, namely one
taxon generating another taxon, i.e. macroevolution, OR not?

The Linnaean system of nested categories does not represent well either
inferred present-day clades or inferred sequences of taxic changes
through time, so there is no Right Classification to shoot for, just an
approximation of a cladistic tree or a Besseyan cactus using nested
relationships. Of course one might invent a Macroevocode to compete with
the Phylocode. Hmmmmm . . .

Richard H. Zander
Web sites: http://www.mobot.org/plantscience/resbot/ and