[Taxacom] APG III genus list

Richard Zander Richard.Zander at mobot.org
Sun Sep 4 09:15:57 CDT 2011

Actually, that's a fine comment, Robin. If a lineage changes not only
anagenetally but also by serial macroevolutionary events, then one
cannot use evolutionary monophyly as a principle of classification.
Evolutionary monophyly is a guide to genetic continuity, which helps
interpret present-day nesting of both classical taxonomy and cladistics.
A clade can indeed belong to different families following Woodger's
Paradox in the evolutionary sense. (So much for clades . . .  : )

R.

Richard H. Zander
<http://www.mobot.org/plantscience/resbot/>  and
<http://www.mobot.org/plantscience/bfna/bfnamenu.htm>