[Taxacom] APG taxa

Richard Zander Richard.Zander at mobot.org
Sun Sep 4 09:36:28 CDT 2011

When I see a repeat of "morphological data is found to support molecular patterns," I take the opportunity to repeat my suggestion that ANY time a group is broken into a different set of subgroups, one can find morphological data to support those subgroups (oh, with a few "trait reversals" and such). This is called the Multiple Test problem in statistics, where by chance alone supportive information is discovered.

The key question is "does the morphological information that supports the molecular pattern truly overwhelm other morphological information supporting other patterns"? That is, is the more than optimal morphological pattern (by bootstrap, discursive reasoning, etc.) the same as the more than optimal molecular pattern (95% credibility, etc.)?

I doubt if is usually is.

Richard H. Zander
Web sites: http://www.mobot.org/plantscience/resbot/ and http://www.mobot.org/plantscience/bfna/bfnamenu.htm
Modern Evolutionary Systematics Web site: http://www.mobot.org/plantscience/resbot/21EvSy.htm