[Taxacom] APG III genus list

Tony.Rees at csiro.au Tony.Rees at csiro.au
Sun Sep 4 23:21:45 CDT 2011

Dear all,

Out of interest I decided to check the first ~20 plant genus names commencing with a random letter ("P") as in my present IRMNG list (which has been aligned roughly but not exhaustively with APGIII, also does not contain the synonym status of many non-current names as yet) with equivalent data in the following databases/print sources, to get an idea of the relative coverage / family assignments / included synonym statements of each:

  Index Nominum Genericorum (ING) - online version
  TROPICOS - online version
  IPNI - online version
  GRIN - online version
  The Plant List: - online version
  Mabberley, 2008 (hard copy)

I also stumbled on one name in Mabberley I did not have so have included it as one of the 20 (Pachyacris Schltr., also in IPNI), which I have subsequently added to my list for better completeness. (Note, much of my initial IRMNG data was sourced from ING which may explain the similarity in author attribution with that source).

The results may be of interest (note, coincidentally a few orchid hybrid names are included in this subset, which some systems ignore to a greater or lesser extent. Also presumably, if a name is listed in TROPICOS or GRIN without mention as a synonym or otherise invalid name, presumably it is considered current. I have not commented further, readers may care to draw their own conclusions. (Note also, neither ING nor IPNI give taxonomic synonyms/judgements). Here they are:

×Pabanisia	J.M.H. Shaw, 2003	Orchidaceae (from IRMNG)
   ING: -
   TROPICOS: × Pabanisia J.M.H. Shaw. Orchidaceae
   IPNI: × Pabanisia J.M.H.Shaw. Orchidaceae
   GRIN: -
   The Plant List: -
   Mabberley, 2008: -

Pabellonia	M. Quezada & C. Marticorena, 1976	Amaryllidaceae (from IRMNG)
   ING: Pabellonia M. Quezada et C. Marticorena, Bol. Soc. Biol. Concepcion 50: 219. 1976 (post 15 Oct). Amaryllidaceae (listed as current name). Also Chrysocoryne O. Zoellner, Anales Mus. Hist. Nat. Valparaiso 6: 18. 1973 (post 29 Nov) as objective synonym
   TROPICOS: C. Marticorena & M. Quezada. Amaryllidaceae (also second record, same ref. different status...??)
   IPNI: Pabellonia Quezada & Martic. Alliaceae
   GRIN: Pabellonia Quezada & Martic. Amaryllidaceae. "Sometimes included in: Leucocoryne Lindl."
   The Plant List: 2 "synonym" species, no genus entry
   Mabberley, 2008: Pabellonia Quezada & Martic. = Leucocoryne

Pabstia	Garay, 1973	Orchidaceae (from IRMNG)
   ING: Pabstia Garay, Bradea 1: 306. 15 Jan 1973. Orchidaceae (listed as current name) - also Colax J. Lindley, Bot. Reg. 29 (Misc.): 50. 1843 as objective synonym.
   TROPICOS: Pabstia Garay, Orchidaceae
   IPNI: Pabstia Garay, Orchidaceae
   GRIN: Pabstia Garay, Orchidaceae
   The Plant List: Fam. Orchidaceae
   Mabberley, 2008: Pabstia Garay, Orchidaceae, accepted as current name

Pabstiella	F.G. Brieger & K. Senghas, 1976	Orchidaceae (from IRMNG)
   ING: Pabstiella F. G. Brieger et K. Senghas, Orchidee (Hamburg) 27: 195. Oct 1976. Orchidaceae (listed as current name)
   TROPICOS: Pabstiella Brieger & Senghas, Orchidaceae
   IPNI: Pabstiella Brieger & Senghas, Orchidaceae (2 entries)
   GRIN: Pabstiella Brieger & Senghas, Orchidaceae. Synonym of: Pleurothallis R. Br.
   The Plant List: Fam. Orchidaceae
   Mabberley, 2008: Pabstiella Brieger & Senghas = Pleurothallis

×Pabstosepalum	J.M.H. Shaw, 2003	Orchidaceae (from IRMNG)
   ING: -
   TROPICOS: × Pabstosepalum J.M.H.Shaw, Orchidaceae
   IPNI: × Pabstosepalum J.M.H.Shaw, Orchidaceae
   GRIN: -
   The Plant List: -
   Mabberley, 2008: -

Pachecoa	Standley & Steyermark, 1943	Fabaceae (from IRMNG)
   ING: Pachecoa Standley et Steyermark, Publ. Field Mus. Nat. Hist., Bot. Ser. 23: 12. 14 Jan 1943. Fabaceae (listed as current name)
   TROPICOS: Pachecoa Standl. & Steyerm. Fabaceae
   IPNI: Pachecoa Standl. & Steyerm. Fabaceae (2 entries)
   GRIN: Pachecoa Standl. & Steyerm. Fabaceae. Probable synonym of: Chapmannia Torr. & A. Gray
   The Plant List: Fam. Leguminosae
   Mabberley, 2008: Pachecoa Standl. & Steyerm. = Chapmannia

×Pacherocactus	G.D. Rowley, 1982	Cactaceae (from IRMNG)
   ING: xPacherocactus G. D. Rowley, Natl. Cact. Succ. J. 37: 78. Sep 1982. Cactaceae
   TROPICOS: -
   IPNI: -
   GRIN: ×Pacherocactus G. D. Rowley, Cactaceae
   The Plant List: 1 "unresolved" species, no genus entry
   Mabberley, 2008: -

×Pachgerocereus	Moran, 1962	Cactaceae  (from IRMNG)
   ING: xPachgerocereus Moran 1962, Cactaceae, not validly published
   TROPICOS: Pachgerocereus Moran, Cactaceae
   IPNI: × Pachgerocereus Moran, Cactaceae (2 entries)
   GRIN: ×Pacherocactus G. D. Rowley, Cactaceae
   The Plant List: Fam. Cactaceae, variously as ×Pachgerocereus and Pachgerocereus
   Mabberley, 2008: -

Pachidendron	A.H. Haworth, 1821	Liliaceae (from IRMNG)
   ING: Pachidendron A. H. Haworth, Saxifrag. Enum. Rev. Pl. Succ. 35. 1821. Liliaceae
   TROPICOS: Pachidendron Haw. Xanthorrhoeaceae
   IPNI: Pachidendron Haw. Liliaceae
   GRIN: Pachidendron Haw. Xanthorrhoeaceae. Synonym of: Aloe L.
   The Plant List: 6 "synonym" species, no genus entry
   Mabberley, 2008: -

Pachiloma	Rafinesque, 1838	Apiaceae (from IRMNG)
   ING: Pachiloma Rafinesque, New Fl. 4: 33. 1838 (sero) ('1836'). Apiaceae (listed as obj. syn. of Polytaenia A. P. de Candolle 1829)
   TROPICOS: Pachiloma Raf. Apiaceae
   IPNI: Pachiloma Raf. Apiaceae
   GRIN: -
   The Plant List: 2 "unresolved" species, no genus entry
   Mabberley, 2008: -

Pachira	Aublet, 1775	Malvaceae (from IRMNG)
   ING: Pachira Aublet, Hist. Pl. Guiane 725. Jun-Dec 1775. Bombacaceae (listed as current name); also Carolinea Linnaeus f. as objective syn.
   TROPICOS: Pachira Aubl., Malvaceae
   IPNI: Pachira Aubl., Bombacaceae (2 records)
   GRIN: Pachira Aubl. Malvaceae
   The Plant List: Fam. Malvaceae
   Mabberley, 2008: Pachira Aubl, Malvaceae, accepted as current name

Pachites	Lindley, 1835	Orchidaceae (from IRMNG)
   ING: Pachites Lindley, Gen. Sp. Orchid. Pl. 301. Oct 1835. Orchidaceae (listed as current name)
   TROPICOS: Pachites Lindl. Orchidaceae
   IPNI: Pachites Lindl. Orchidaceae
   GRIN: Pachites Lindl. Orchidaceae
   The Plant List: Fam. Orchidaceae
   Mabberley, 2008: Pachites Lindl., Orchidaceae, accepted as current name

(not in IRMNG: Pachyacris)
   ING: -
   TROPICOS:
   IPNI: Pachyacris Schltr. (nomen abortivum), Asclepiadaceae
   GRIN: -
   The Plant List: 1 "unresolved" species, no genus entry
   Mabberley, 2008: Pachyacris Schltr. ex Bullock = Xysmalobium

Pachyanthus	A. Richard, 1846	Melastomataceae (from IRMNG)
   ING: A. Richard in Sagra, Hist. Phys. Cuba 4(1): 559. 1846. Melastomataceae. (listed as current name)
   TROPICOS: Pachyanthus A. Rich., Melastomataceae
   IPNI: Pachyanthus A. Rich., Melastomataceae
   GRIN: Pachyanthus A. Rich., Melastomataceae
   The Plant List: Fam. Melastomataceae
   Mabberley, 2008: Pachyanthus A. Rich., Melastomataceae, accepted as current name

Pachycalyx	Klotzsch, 1838	Ericaceae (from IRMNG)
   ING: Pachycalyx Klotzsch, Linnaea 12: 230. Mar-Jul 1838. Ericaceae
   TROPICOS: Pachycalyx Klotzsch, Ericaceae
   IPNI: Pachycalyx Klotzsch, Ericaceae
   GRIN: -
   The Plant List: 4 "synonym" species, no genus entry
   Mabberley, 2008: -

Pachycarpus	E.H.F. Meyer, 1838	Apocynaceae (from IRMNG)
   ING: E. H. F. Meyer, Comment. Pl. Africae Austr. 209. 14-20 Jan 1838 ('1837'). Asclepiadaceae. (listed as current name)
   TROPICOS: Pachycarpus E.Mey. Apocynaceae
   IPNI: Pachycarpus E.Mey. Asclepiadaceae
   GRIN: Pachycarpus E. Mey. Apocynaceae
   The Plant List: Fam. Apocynaceae
   Mabberley, 2008: Pachycarpus E. Meyer, Apocynaceae, accepted as current name

Pachycentria	Blume, 1831	Melastomataceae (from IRMNG)
   ING: Pachycentria Blume, Flora 14: 519. Jul-Sep 1831; Bijdr. Natuurk. Wetensch. 6: 259. 1831. Melastomataceae. (listed as current name)
   TROPICOS: Pachycentria Blume, Melastomataceae
   IPNI: Pachycentria Blume, Melastomataceae
   GRIN: Pachycentria Blume, Melastomataceae
   The Plant List: 2 "synonym" species, no genus entry
   Mabberley, 2008: Pachycentria Blume, Melastomataceae, accepted as current name

Pachycereus	(A. Berger) N.L. Britton & J.N. Rose, 1909	Cactaceae (from IRMNG)
   ING: Pachycereus (A. Berger) N. L. Britton et J. N. Rose, Contr. U. S. Natl. Herb. 12: 420. 21 Jul 1909. Cactaceae. (listed as current name)
   TROPICOS: Pachycereus (A. Berger) Britton & Rose, Cactaceae
   IPNI: Pachycereus Britton & Rose, Cactaceae (2 records)
   GRIN: Pachycereus (A. Berger) Britton & Rose, Cactaceae
   The Plant List: Fam. Cactaceae
   Mabberley, 2008: Pachycereus (A. Berger) Britton & Rose, Cactaceae, accepted as current name

Pachychilus	Blume, 1828	Orchidaceae (from IRMNG)
   ING: Pachychilus Blume, Fl. Javae 1: Praef. vii. Aug 1828. (obj. syn. of) Pachystoma Blume 1825. Orchidaceae
   TROPICOS: Pachychilus Blume, Orchidaceae
   IPNI: Pachychilus Blume, Orchidaceae
   GRIN: Pachychilus Blume, Orchidaceae Synonym of: Pachystoma Blume
   The Plant List: 7 "synonym" species, no genus entry
   Mabberley, 2008: -

Pachychlamys	Dyer ex Ridley, 1922	Dipterocarpaceae (from IRMNG)
   ING: Pachychlamys Dyer ex Ridley, Fl. Malay Penins. 1: 233. 1922. Dipterocarpaceae
   TROPICOS: Pachychlamys Dyer ex Ridley, Dipterocarpaceae
   IPNI: Pachychlamys Dyer ex Brandis, Dipterocarpaceae
   GRIN: Pachychlamys Dyer ex Ridl., Dipterocarpaceae, Synonym of: Shorea Roxb. ex C. F. Gaertn.
   The Plant List: 3 "unresolved" species, no genus entry
   Mabberley, 2008: -