[Taxacom] labeling redescriptions properly

Stephen Thorpe stephen_thorpe at yahoo.co.nz
Thu Sep 8 15:23:10 CDT 2011

although I am the person who raised the issue on Species-ID, and therefore not the person to give you a second opinion, nevertheless I would like to reiterate that on ZooBank (CC Rich Pyle) we consistently use sec, and this makes perfect sense to me, so in the example below, the correct citation would be:
Formica sanguinea sec Smith 1851

Note that of the choices below, the worst option is:
Formica sanguinea (Smith, 1851)

because it is highly misleading! As would be Formica sanguinea Smith, 1851

somewhere in your articles, the original author/date of the name, as cited by the "sec author", should be given, and also the correct original author/date, if different, but not in the page header

Stephen