[Taxacom] Schwartz and Grehan (2009) cited on Dinosaur Mailing List

John Grehan jgrehan at sciencebuff.org
Tue Sep 13 07:49:18 CDT 2011

Interesting to see this reference to our work. Of course what Ken fails
to point out is there is not even a single empirical necessity to
support his contention that molecular similarity falsifies morphogenetic
similarity.

And of course Ken, and everyone else who shares his view, must sidestep
the conundrum that fossil relationships between each other and with the
living are totally meaningless unless morphogenetic analysis can be
recognized as having validity independent of molecular similarity.

It's actually quite easy to find 'true' morphogenetic synapomorphies
among the large bodied hominoids. Ken's assertion is just a red herring.
The problem is that Ken does not like the result.

Fossils are relevant only if morphogenetic analysis can represent
independent evidence.

Recently in ZooTaxa some fish systematists have also started to question
the molecular assumption.

John Grehan