[Taxacom] Peter Sneath

xelaalex at cox.net xelaalex at cox.net
Tue Sep 13 11:36:34 CDT 2011

Thanks, Brian:

While some of us disagreed on paradigm (I am a cladist), no one can disagreed on the great contribution that Peter made for Systematic biology as well as bacteriology specifically. His ideas, for example, about handling old names became the basis of the idea that we introduced into the International Code of Zoological Nomenclature, that is, the list of available name in Zoology.

While his approach to computers for systematic research was largely phenetic, it was the first and very useful. Today most use DNA/Molecular data and their analyses are essentially the same as the phenetic approaches that Peter established more than a half century ago.

We will miss Peter ...

Sincerely,

Chris Thompson

from home