[Taxacom] Peter Sneath

Thiago da Silva Moreira tmoreira at gwmail.gwu.edu
Tue Sep 13 11:59:04 CDT 2011

"While his approach to computers for systematic research was largely
phenetic, it was the first and very useful. Today most use DNA/Molecular
data and their analyses are essentially the same as the phenetic approaches
that Peter established more than a half century ago."

Saying such a thing is the best way to pick up a fight with a Molecular
guy... ;-)

RIP Peter.

2011/9/13 <xelaalex at cox.net>

> Thanks, Brian:
>
> While some of us disagreed on paradigm (I am a cladist), no one can
> disagreed on the great contribution that Peter made for Systematic biology
> as well as bacteriology specifically. His ideas, for example, about handling
> old names became the basis of the idea that we introduced into the
> International Code of Zoological Nomenclature, that is, the list of
> available name in Zoology.
>
> While his approach to computers for systematic research was largely
> phenetic, it was the first and very useful. Today most use DNA/Molecular
> data and their analyses are essentially the same as the phenetic approaches
> that Peter established more than a half century ago.
>
> We will miss Peter ...
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Chris Thompson
>
> from home
>

> ---- bti at dsmz.de wrote:
> > Some of you on Taxacom will be familiar with the pioneering work of
> > the microbiologist Peter H.A. Sneath on the use of computers in
> > taxonomy. He was also a key figure in helping the restructuring of the
> > Bacteriological Code and putting prokaryote nomenclature on its
> > present sure footing. Sadly he passed away last Friday at his home in
> > Leicestershire.
> >
> > Brian
> >
> > Dr.B.J.Tindall
> > DSMZ-Deutsche Sammlung von Mikro-
> > organismen und Zellkulturen GmbH
> > Inhoffenstra├če 7B
> > 38124 Braunschweig
> > Germany
> > Tel. ++49 531-2616-224
> > Fax  ++49 531-2616-418
> > http://www.dsmz.de
> > Director: Prof. Dr. J. Overmann
> > Local court: Braunschweig HRB 2570
> > Chairman of the management board: MR Dr. Axel Kollatschny
> >
> > DSMZ - A member of the Leibniz Association (WGL)

> these methods:

> methods:

Department of Biological Sciences
405 Bell Hall (lab)
The George Washington University
2023 G Street. NW,  Washington, D.C. 20052
Tel. Lab: (202) 994-0302
Tel. Office: (202) 994-1095
Tel. Secretary: (202) 994-6090
Fax: (202) 994-6100