[Taxacom] very nice opinion article in today's Zootaxa

James Whitfield jwhitfie at life.illinois.edu
Tue Sep 13 19:14:47 CDT 2011

Yes, interesting paper.  One should be aware, however, that the 10
putative species of Astraptes in fact were already separable using
morphological characters (primarily larval color patterns but also some
slight differences in the adults that were previously considered to be
intraspecific variants). So the species should not be "described" (named)
SOLELY on the basis of DNA barcodes - I think very few people actually
advocate that ... Janzen is very heavily involved in promoting descriptive
taxonomy in fact.

Jim

> on molecular vs. morphological taxonomy
>
> open access: http://mapress.com/zootaxa/2011/f/zt03025p068.pdf