[Taxacom] very nice opinion article in today's Zootaxa

James Whitfield jwhitfie at life.illinois.edu
Wed Sep 14 19:29:30 CDT 2011

The point is here that with Brower's paper BOTH classical taxonomic
opinion and DNA barcodes were ignored.  The barcodes (limited as they may
be) actually only backed up what a taxonomist who paid a lot of attention
to life history and natural history had already recognized - that there
were likely to be species taxa WITHIN Astraptes fulgerator. If it is 10 or
not, we cannot perhaps be sure yet, but it is surely not 1. BOTH
morphology and genetics indicate that. Can we not leave the issue to
Burns, an experienced hesperiid taxonomist, and not to Brower, who has not
seriously studied these taxa?
In this case I am saying please let's be patient and listen to the
experienced taxonomist, not political statements against barcoding. In
this case we have a lot of natural history ALSO supporting the split into
multiple species. Many of us have to describe species with MUCH less
evidence than this.

Jim

James B. Whitfield
Department of Entomology