[Taxacom] A small nomenclatural detail?

Paul Kirk p.kirk at cabi.org
Thu Sep 15 00:52:04 CDT 2011

not quite ...

authorship of names refers only to validly published names - names not validly published are not names. So, in the first example you are correct because the authorship is 'D.A. Webb' but the Code allows the insertion of other 'authorship' before an 'ex' to indicate origins of the 'non existant' name. Your second example would only be correct if 'Mill.' had validly published a name and the epithet was being transferret to a new position or rank; if the status of the 'Mill.' name was as in your first example it could be cited 'Mill. ex D.A. Webb' - not as you indicated.

Hope this is clear,

Paul