[Taxacom] very nice opinion article in today's Zootaxa

John Shuey jshuey at TNC.ORG
Thu Sep 15 08:29:13 CDT 2011

I really meant stupid when I said "stupid names" although mean spirited also comes to mind.....  They were specifically intended to insult key players  here are some sample etymologies.

The name favilla, a feminine noun in apposition, means 'smouldering embers'. The species is named in recognition of the skipper taxonomist John M. Burns.

The name inflatio, a noun in apposition, means 'inflation', reflecting the large increase in apparent species diversity of the A. fulgerator complex resulting from the study of DNA barcodes

The name obstupefactus means 'thunderstruck'. This name seems appropriate for a sibling species of A. fulgerator, whose name means 'a priest who interprets
omens from lightning'.

The name fruticibus means 'from the bushes', referring to the fact that DNA barcodes from this species do not form a distinct group in the cladistic analyses of Brower (2006).

The name viracocha, a noun in apposition, is the name of a bearded white god of the Incas. The species is named for Dan Janzen.

John A Shuey
Director of Conservation Science

jshuey at tnc.org
317.829.3898 - direct