[Taxacom] A small nomenclatural detail?

Bradley Boyle bboyle at email.arizona.edu
Thu Sep 15 13:24:40 CDT 2011

Thank you, Paul, for that tidy clarification.

So, is it correct to say that any time I see square brackets in the author of a botanical name, that author is incorrectly formulated under the current ICBN?

Regarding the use of "ex" in plant names, is the author preceding the ex an optional honorific, intended to acknowledge the person who suggested but did not (validly) publish the name? Or is it required?

In other words, are

Prunus dulcis Mill. ex D.A. Webb
Prunus dulcis D.A. Webb

valid alternative formulations of the same name? Or not?

Thanks!
Brad