[Taxacom] very nice opinion article in today's Zootaxa

James Whitfield jwhitfie at life.illinois.edu
Thu Sep 15 14:25:38 CDT 2011

Doug brings up an interesting example (albinism)! A weird non-genetic
example-  Microgaster robiniae Fitch, a braconid wasp, was described by
Asa Fitch as being reddish brown (actually, if you look at the original
description, it is atrocious, describing color features of one sex and
then non-corresponding features of the other so you can't compare
them...).

Fitch had the habit of leaving vials of ethanol-preserved specimens on
windowsills of his office. This resulted in extreme bleaching of the
specimens, often even before he got around to describing them.

No one could ever find specimens of this species again (reared from a
leafmining gracillariid moth on black locust, Robinia pseudoacacia) that
were reddish, so the name persisted for over 100 years until I revised the
genus (now separated as Pholetesor) in the 1980's and examined hundreds
and hundreds of reared examples from the same host (some reared by me),
all of which were black but had the identical morphology otherwise.
Apparently other revisers of Asa Fitch's material have had the same
experience. An application to the ICZN fixed this (robiniae was the senior
but fortunately profoundly ignored synonym).

I personally think a centralized registry of names would provide more
quality control.  If some competitive people are difficult when names are
legitimately proposed, their actions will be obvious to everyone (even if
sociopolitics temporarily prevent fixes).  MUCH better then letting the
idiosyncratic and obscure things that often happened in previous centuries
recur. Can we not improve??

Thanks Doug, Jim

James B. Whitfield
Department of Entomology