[Taxacom] A small nomenclatural detail?

Tony.Rees at csiro.au Tony.Rees at csiro.au
Thu Sep 15 19:04:59 CDT 2011

Hi Paul,

Just one small point:

You wrote:

> However, orthography means spelling of the name and refers
> to "Prunus dulcis", not to the author citation.

Actually, orthography simply means "correct spelling" so could equally apply to the authority component (authography maybe...)

I was meaning in the broader sense correct / consistent representation, not restricted to spelling alone, of the authority component, something which is a bane to storage and comparison of taxonomic names in general in information systems, so maybe orthography is not the best choice of term in this context, but there is no reason to restrict the use of the term to the scientific name portion, so far as I can see.

Regards - Tony