[Taxacom] A small nomenclatural detail?

Paul van Rijckevorsel dipteryx at freeler.nl
Fri Sep 16 03:03:33 CDT 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: <Tony.Rees at csiro.au>
Sent: Friday, September 16, 2011 2:09 AM

> Sorry, mental hiccup there - orthography = spelling, correct
> orthography = correct spelling

> (before anyone corrects me)

***
Well, not really. Obviously "orthography" is an English word,
and as such has a certain meaning. I am not particularly certain
what this meaning is (see http://www.thefreedictionary.com/orthography)
although by its etymology one would indeed expect it to deal
with correct spelling.

However, 1) in botanical nomenclature it carries its own meaning,
which is restricted to the name itself. Probably it is a little wider
than spelling (Art. 61.2 "orthographical variants are the various
spelling, compounding, and inflectional forms ..."), depending
on how one defines "spelling". Representing authors is called
"author citation"; and Rec. 46A and 46B deal with how
individual names of authors are to be represented.

2) You were dealing with the difference between
Prunus dulcis (Mill.) D.A. Webb  versus
Prunus dulcis Mill. ex D.A. Webb
In a general sense, this is not a matter of spelling but of
composition (what to include and what not to include).

As a matter of general policy I have always found it to be
advisable not to use specialized terminology, unless it is
exactly fitting in that particular context. Otherwise,
confusion will likely ensue. It would not have hurt you
to say something like:

    "Prunus dulcis Mill. ex D.A.Webb is the correct
     way to write/represent this"

instead, which would have avoided unnecessary use
of terminology. Looks much safer to me.

Paul