[Taxacom] very nice opinion article in today's Zootaxa

John Noyes j.noyes at nhm.ac.uk
Fri Sep 16 03:38:40 CDT 2011

Well said Jim! I completely agree.

BTW, if you include all of those who work in one way or another with Dan
in Costa Rica then they have described well over 2000, perhaps 3000, new
species from Costa Rica. Properly too!

Having said that it should be remembered that Dan's work recognised 10
species within Astraptes fulgerator from a very small part of Costa Rica
(c110K hectares). This is a very widely distributed species in the New
World (southern USA to northern Argentina). Extrapolating from that and
applying the same standard of recognising species from DNA bar codes
alone how many "species" might we be looking at? Perhaps 1000's. The
mind truly boggles. Thanks goodness that Dan's, at least, had some
supporting morphological characters.

John

John Noyes
Scientific Associate
Department of Entomology
Natural History Museum
Cromwell Road
South Kensington
London SW7 5BD
UK
jsn at nhm.ac.uk
Tel.: +44 (0) 207 942 5594
Fax.: +44 (0) 207 942 5229

Universal Chalcidoidea Database (everything you wanted to know about
chalcidoids and more):
www.nhm.ac.uk/chalcidoids