[Taxacom] A small nomenclatural detail?

Paul van Rijckevorsel dipteryx at freeler.nl
Fri Sep 16 06:55:17 CDT 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: ""Peter A. Schäfer"" <Peter.Schafer at univ-montp2.fr>
Sent: Friday, September 16, 2011 11:10 AM
> Excuse me, but if I understand the issue, Amygdalus dulcis Mill.
> should be cited under Prunus as Prunus dulcis (Mill.) D.A.Webb.

> and I guess the whole thing started just as a printing error with
> square brackets instead of round.

***
We have not been told about circumstance, but presumably
this was deliberate, for any of a number of reasons. For example,
apparently it is not uncommon to find square brackets being used
when the entire name is in parentheses
http://www.uni-graz.at/~katzer/engl/Prun_dul.html
http://www.jstor.org/pss/2442888
presumably because of some editorial policy about parentheses
within parentheses. If one more set of parentheses were involved
we would be seeing authors within "{...}" brackets.

The answer, of course, being that this sort of publications is not
supposed to be using author citations in the first place,

Paul

P.S. the link sent out on the sixth
(http://www.councilscienceeditors.org/files/scienceeditor/v22n1p23.pdf)
obviously is from an editor's point of view. A writer, having
been subjected to all this editorial policy would write something
quite different ...