[Taxacom] very nice opinion article in today's Zootaxa

Kenneth Kinman kennethkinman at webtv.net
Fri Sep 16 11:27:26 CDT 2011

Hi Cristian,
      I agree that some of the sequence differences probably only
indicate intraspecific variation. However, some of the proposed species
are likely full species (like CELTIC and TRIGO), where the sequence
differences are larger and backed up by host specificity, caterpillar
coloration, etc.  Therefore, I sort of like the estimate of at least 3,
but not more than 7, in this particular Costa Rican population.

     It will probably take a long time to fully sort it all out, because

of complications like "circles of subspecies", which cannot be
documented without much more sampling over a much wider area. It takes a

lot more work to document "cryptic" species in particular, and Janzen
and colleagues are to be commended for what they have accomplished thus
far.
                 ---------Ken

Cristian wrote:
Dear colleagues,

In the end, we are back to the usual end hole --vandalism in taxonomy.
Is Brower's paper any better in terms of taxonomic progress (or
viceversa) than other vandals we have discussed here?

At any rate, Brower's descriptions seem so useless! And likely invalid,
because the diagnoses are based on exact sequences that are surely
subject to slight intraspecific variation. How anyone can use that to
work out a taxonomic revision is unclear to me. Of course holotypes are
mentioned, but it will prove hard to match the names with the living
butterflies. Nomina dubia, perhaps. Or rather a novel category --"nomina

fatiganda".  I bet Brower's name will not last... but that will need
an extra effort, thus diverting some attention from relevant taxonomy.

In terms of how many species there might actually exist within Astraptes

or other Neotropical Lepidoptera, I am rather inclined to think that
many more indeed than the highest figures given. While at Penn as a
graduate student, I spent over a year as field research assistant of Dan

Janzen. Collecting, rearing and pinning moths was a big part of the job.

It became clear to me that the real diversity was (and is) grossly
underestimated. So I put much more confidence on Janzen et al.'s
research than I can ever provide to a silly, barely
Code-compliant paper.

All the best,

 Cristian

Cristian R. Altaba