[Taxacom] Barcoding of herbarium & museum specimens

Ashley Nicholas Nicholasa at ukzn.ac.za
Mon Sep 19 09:05:55 CDT 2011

Sorry no meaty or interesting debate on this one.

We are about to start barcoding our herbarium specimens to interact
with a BRAHMS database, however,  I need some pragmatic advice on what
would be the best handheld scanner to buy. I have been told not to buy
too cheap as low cost scanners are inclined to misread and store the
incorrect information. On the other hand I do not want to waste money
(we have a limited budget) on a top end scanner whose full capabilities
we are unlikely to ever use.

Can anyone on the Listserver suggest a suitable make of handheld
barcode scanner to us? As this practise is now widespread, am sure that
there are many herbaria and museums that can advise us here. Please
reply directly to me (nicholasa at ukzn.ac.za) rather than clog up Taxacom
with this somewhat mundane request.

Many thanks
Ashley

Ashley Nicholas
Curator: Ward Herbarium
University of KwaZulu-Natal,
School of Biological & Conservation Sciences
Westville Campus
Durban, South Africa